During the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, the Spanish government erected a replica of the La Rabida Monastery where Columbus prayed and spent his final day before his voyage to the new world. During the exposition there were many relics on display having to do with the great explorer including a portion of his actual remains. After the Expo the building was given over to the South Park Board by the Spanish government who intended it to be used as a "fresh air" sanitarium to be used to help Chicago's less fortunate. The actual building was used until 1922 and is now still the LaRabida Children's Hospital.
Read the Full Story here