Ray Johnson started Friends of The White City in 2014 as a non-profit corporation which is dedicated to educating the general public about the historical significance of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.
The World’s Fair was nicknamed “The White City” because of the color of the mammoth buildings that surrounded the Grand Basin in the Court of Honor. The Fair operated in what is now Jackson Park and the Midway Plaisance from May 1, 1893, through October 30, 1893.
The fair boasted over 200 buildings on over 600 acres and before it ended had over 25 million visitors.
Please enjoy the site, the blog, and all the splendor that made Chicago the envy of the world.